Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Love horoscope? Ha!

A few items I wanted to blog about today ... but there is this one that I just found plain silly. One astrologists' "love" predictions for 2007. This, from a link on the home page of my ISP.

I haven't been much for horoscopes in quite some time now. I found it way too speculative and vague -- and truly telling is the amorphism that ninety-nine percent of people know their astrological sign but only twenty-five percent know their blood type. In the long run, what's more important?

I've been through it all -- horoscopes, psychics, palm reading, numerology, handwriting analysis -- and in the end it's all a big money grab. Others, like reading the grind stains of a demi-tasse Turkish coffee cup, are truly laughable. In some respects, other searches for answers are too, but we are ultimately the author of our own destinies.

Yes, I do have a spiritual side. I also believe there is a spirit world that lives among us. But the addendum to that is that I think one plays with fire if he or she tries to tamper with spirits or lives his or her life entirely according to the daily positions of the constellations.

I have nothing against people who want to pursue that kind of line of work. And besides, there will always be a market for it. But to be bald, I've had a "love forecast" each and every year since I was fourteen, saying it was all coming up roses. Uh, yeah. If they had all come true, I'd either have had twenty wives by now and be living in the FLDS commune of Bountiful, British Columbia; or I'd be already preparing for the wedding of my daughter. I'm not married, and I have no kids. In fact, I'm two years older than when my father sired me.

If this is the year for me -- and right now, I have every reason to remain pessimistic than optimistic -- it won't be because the stars are aligned properly. It'll be because I'm in the right place at the right time with the right woman. So, like they say in Missouri, Show Me. Show me this is my year.

I'm not bitter about having no woman in my life. Just -- pissed off. I don't need a horoscope to tell me it's my year, because ... well, I just don't. Mostly because I don't believe it.

To vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers, click here.

No comments: