Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ontario NDs choose new leader

Later tonight, the Ontario NDP will be choosing a new leader. While I am a Liberal federally, I consider myself to be an independent at the provincial level and generally choose the party I think can best move the province forward at election time. After five years, Dalton McGuinty has become a rather stagnant Premier and he reacts as if he was blindsided by the current recession -- like he wasn't expecting it to hit this hard. While that does not necessarily mean I would vote NDP come the fixed date election in 2011, it does mean that the Liberals aren't the only option.

Based on who the NDs choose today, they may convince me to look their way. There are four very good candidates -- all of whom are sitting in the legislature which avoids the problem John Tory had running the PCs from the gallery before he resigned yesterday after losing in a by-electon. Any one of them would be a good choice; but of the four, I'd like to see Andrea Horwath get it. Not just because she's from my hometown of Hamilton, although in a different district, but she's the kind of person Ontario needs right now -- a community activist who understands the real pain we're facing right now. She is also, based on what people of all parties have told me who have met her, a very approachable and likable person yet also someone who is not a pushover.

And of course, she's a woman. Even many men are pissed off with the way men have run this country into the ground.

Win or lose, she's put her foot forward. If Ontario elects the NDs next time out, she definitely will be on the front bench.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

1 comment:

penlan said...

You got your wish Robert! I'm glad to see she won & that she is from that area of ON - the Golden Horseshoe, for a change.