Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Universal dental? Why not?

HT to fellow ProgBlog Cameron Holmstrom: The Toronto Star reports the Ontario NDP is recommending adding dental coverage to the Ontario Health Insurance Plan -- at least for those who don't have private or group dental coverage already.

This might actually be something that switches my provincial vote this fall away from Liberal. (I'm a dedicated Grit federally but an independent when it comes to provincial politics.) If Howard Hampton is sincere about this one and has budgeted it properly, it would bring us one step closer to the true near-universality of the NHS in the UK.

We also need coverage for drugs and vision care, as I wrote a couple of weeks ago, but this is a great idea. Dalton McGuinty should seriously consider stealing it.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Thats a great idea. Dental health is important for overall health. Ignoring it is like ignoring an infection anywhere else on your body.

I have spent a small fortune with wisdom teeth extractions, and crowns.

I hope braces are not included except in cases where it is necessary to stop bone loss in the jaw.

If not, $$$, taxes will definitely go up.

George said...

I'm not going to comment on the cost of proper dental care if you're on a small fixed income as I am.

However, you sound like some one who watches the news on cable. Next time there's a broadcast from Great Britain, take a real look at the teeth of those being interviewed.

Have you ever seen messes like those? My Brit friends confirm they have the worst looking teeth in the western world.

Thanks to the National Health Services.

That's not what I want for future generations.

Regards,
George