Thursday, December 14, 2006

Again with the "holiday" trees

One again in the never-ending attempt to be "politically correct" at this time of year a Toronto magistrate, Judge Marion Cohen, ordered the removal of a Christmas tree from the lobby of the courthouse because it might "offend" non-Christians. A flustered Dalton McGuinty, who's Roman Catholic, doesn't seem to be too pleased and pointed out no one raises any hackles when Queen's Park lights up a menorah or marks Eid.

When the devoutly Jewish Mel Lastman was mayor of Toronto, he actually got through a by-law that said a Christmas tree is not a "Holiday" tree but a Christmas tree, no more or less. If he doesn't have a problem with it, why should this judge? I wrote about this last year around this time and my thoughts on it haven't changed at all. "Season's Greetings" just doesn't cut it. If I'm greeting someone I know to be a Christian, I say Merry Christmas. If I know they're not or if I'm not sure, I say Happy Holidays.

I don't put up a tree for personal reasons, but that doesn't give me the right to be a Grinch and tell someone to take down theirs. Judge Cohen should reconsider. Her ruling is not only offensive, it's also patently silly -- and for what it's worth, a Christmas tree is for the most part much more of a secular symbol in this country than a religious one.

Vote for this article at Progressive Bloggers.

Comments:

cristina26/05/2008 12:44:56 PM
(http://cid-35929bb462340250.spaces.live.com/)
Hello,
My name is Cristina Dumitru. We analysed your blogg and we are interested to enter in contact with you and purpose to become an accredited BLOGGER of Publicationweb.com.
Publicationweb.com will give you a greater visibility . Note that it is completely free service.
In the pleasure to count you among us!


Cristina.dumitru@publicationweb.com

No comments: