Sunday, April 1, 2007

Dobson changes mind about environment -- NOT!

In my inbox this morning was a mass e-mail from Bob Darden, the editor of the Christian humour magazine Wittenburg Door. It is a copy of a letter supposedly from James Dobson of Focus on the Family in which Dobson admits he was wrong to say a little while ago that the evangelical movement should not focus on the environment, because it distracts from other social issues like abortion and "family rights."

It took me about 30 seconds before I realized this is an April Fool's Joke. Here's the "letter," which I present without further comment.

Colorado Springs, CO – Dear friends and supporters:


Since my ill-advised attack on my dear friend Dick Cizik a few days ago, I have had an extraordinary week of reflection and spiritual enlightenment.

Through the counsel of godly men, such as the Rev. Dr. Jack Hayford, the Rev. Rick Warren, Richard Stearns (President, World Vision), David Neff (Editor, Christianity Today) and other members of The Evangelical Climate Initiative (www.Christiansandclimate.org), I’ve come to see that my assessment of Dick’s motives and, in fact, “global warming,” have been in error as well.

I have been guilty of a particularly pernicious form of short-sighted Dispensationalism, believing that since the earth has no future with the blessed Second Coming nigh, we, as Christians, have no responsibility to care for Creation.

Through loving testimony, instruction and careful study of the Bible with these and other mentors, I no longer believe that Dick is – as I said earlier, much to my regret -- guilty of a “relentless campaign” to save the planet at the expense of what I called more “serious” issues, such as same-sex marriage. I see now that I have strictly exploited those issues and others like them to manipulate my audience and as a calculated and callous form of fund-raising.

As part of my penance for my unmerited attacks on a courageous, godly man, I have initiated contact with both the Rev. Jerry Falwell and Don Wildmon, with the earnest desire to convince them of the error of their ways as well. While both continue to condemn what they call “earthism worship,” I will continue to pray that this revelation will be made available to them as well.

As for the rest of my penance, I will devote the rest of my career – however long the Lord sees fit to continue in this capacity – to working with my Christian brothers and sisters to insure that all life on the planet, God’s first and greatest gift to us, is protected and cherished.

God bless you all,

Jim Dobson
Focus on the Family
8605 Explorer Drive
Colorado Springs, CO
80995
1-800-232-6459
www.family.org




Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

3 comments:

Saskboy said...

I feel bad about recommending you move away from a Live blogging platform. But it's good to see your blogger blog isn't yet affected by this. I've been working through the night on a solution!

BlastFurnace said...

Saskboy, you weren't the only one who suggested I switch from Live -- a few other ProgBloggers did. I made the move because I was getting annoyed by Live's limitations also. As for the bug -- well, that's why I try to be careful about which websites to visit as all surfers, blogging or not, should do.

Saskboy said...

Fortunately you don't have to worry about that particular virus I wrote about because it was an April Fools day joke, but the flaw in Windows is unfortunately really there. So you're right to be careful about which sites you visit, and what emails you view.