Wednesday, December 3, 2008

No apologies, no concessions ...

NO EFFING DEAL!!!!!

Especially now that we know that Stockwell Day tried to do a deal with Duceppe and Alexa McDonough in 2000. How could you be for a coalition with the Bloc and NDP before you were against it?

How could you be for free votes before you were against them?

And why it is you say that in English that they're selling out to separatists, while telling the Bloc in French they're selling out to federalists?

You can't have it both ways, pal.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

2 comments:

Raging Ranter said...

Since Chretien had a majority at the time, precisely how would Stockwell Day negotiated a coalition government with anyone?

Yeah, I know. I'm just a paid Tory hack posting talking points on various "progressive" blogs (cuz that's where all the important public opinion is formed yah know). But think of it yourself. If you're old enough to remember 2000, then you're old enough to remember that Chretien always had a majority, so a vote of no confidence was never a threat. Nor was a coalition of the Opposition.

BlastFurnace said...

I do remember 2000 -- I'm in my mid-thirties. I recall that many saw the return of Joe Clark as a threat to the Liberals getting a third straight majority even when he went along with Paul Martin's tax cuts that fall.

The other parties must have anticipated all of this which is why they had the informal talks. Then Chrétien outmanouvered Clark by announcing retroactive increases to UI for seasonal workers in the Atlantic; Clark's lead in that region vanished and the little guy pulled off the three-peat in no small part by a landslide "Down East."

For the record, I voted PC in 1997 and 2000 because I thought Charest and then Clark would have proven a good check against Chrétien. I guess not enough Canadians agreed with me.