Friday, March 13, 2009

Putting my dad away; another IM upgrade

Today wasn't an easy day for me ... I had to place my father into long-term care. It's been a long time coming and it is definitely one of the toughest things I've ever had to do, but it is the right thing and I hope he's able to get the care that I haven't been able to give him -- I'm come close to pulling out my hair several times. That's all I'm prepared to say about it for now but I'm sure you will all be praying for him.

****

Just a little annoyance last night when I got a message "suggesting" I upgrade to the "next" version of MSN Messenger. In my case, it actually took me up several versions from v8 to v14. Thing was when the browser toolbar loaded up after I opened up IE, it was the AMERICAN one, with links to msnbc.com. I had to click on the side to switch to Canadian settings so I can get the Canadian headlines (and this took several attempts) when I click on the newspaper button. And it didn't even reset until this afternoon even though I made the selection last night.

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't the upgrade tool have just transferred my settings from the old messenger to the new one? This is a real pain no matter what security features come with the "new." And based on one's IP address, Macrohard should know by now what country you're in so it doesn't even have to ask.

Life goes on.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

5 comments:

Red Canuck said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. It's a heartbreaking decision, to be sure. Best wishes

RC

sassy said...

Both your Dad and you are in my thoughts. Was he able to move into a home that is close enough to your place so you can easily visit him? I only ask as in some situations, this is not the case, very sad and so wrong.

BlastFurnace said...

Yeah, close enough, thank God. But I still wish it didn't have to come to this.

penlan said...

That's a tough one about your Dad, Robert. But try to keep in mind that he's in a place where he gets the care he needs - 24/7. That someone has an eye on him to make sure he's ok & that whatever his needs are, on a daily basis, that they are being attended to.

Jafo said...

Sorry to read about your Dad. I have some idea as to what you're going through. One of my closest friends had to put his mother in a long term facility due to Alzheimers. He gets pretty broke up everytime he goes to see her because she doesn't know who he is. It just about tears him apart everytime.