Thursday, November 13, 2008

"If invited, would you attend?"

Not too long ago, a fellow blogger (can't say which, since he or she asked to remain anonymous) asked me a hypothetical but good question. Notwithstanding how I feel about gay marriage, if I got an invitation to attend one, would I reply that I was coming?

I never thought about that about, actually. But here's my answer: If it was two men, probably not unless one of the partners was a relative. If it was two women, almost certainly yes; especially if one of them was someone I had a great deal of respect for.

That's just me, though.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know what you mean.
I absolutely HATE breeder weddings.
A man marrying a woman. That's not real love.
What has the world come to? ;)

BlastFurnace said...

I think you're missing my point, Anon. I was only answering the question would I attend a gay marriage. If it was between two opposite sex people, I would, naturally.

Howard said...

Robert,

This is an interesting question, as we also have gay friends (male). We would go, even though we don't agree with gay marriage, nor do we necessarily agree with a gay lifestyle. It would be completely out of respect for our friends. In any case, the marriage stands a 50-75% chance of ending in divorce anyway, so what's the big deal?

Cheers
Howie

Anonymous said...

Why the difference between gay men and lesbians? Can't be a matter of principle. Just discomfort with the idea of two men?

I'd say get over it. It's someone else's celebration, not a recruitment drive.

Jennifer Smith said...

Gay men no, lesbians yes. So for you, it's all about the "ick" factor - is that right? Couldn't you just close your eyes when they kissed?

BlastFurnace said...

Thanks for the replies. In response to the question about the "ick" factor -- no, it's not that at all. I just wouldn't know what to get two guys as a housewarming gift without coming off as pretentious, and I just relate better to women in general. I have since I was a kid.

Matt Guerin said...

Here's your answer on the gift to the men: money!

Anonymous said...

I think it comes down to how good looking they are regardless of sex.

lol

Anonymous said...

Interesting.
Usually, men who relate better to women--even as young boys--are most likely GAY. That's right: GAY. Perhaps that's why it makes you so uncomfortable.
Just a thought.