Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Microsoft offering free anti-virus

So many of us use the PC platform for our computing that it's become almost ubiquitous. On the one hand, having a near universal standard makes life that much easier for software developers (who are then freed to make their programs even better than if having to start from scratch); on the other hand we become so reliant to the MS standard that we've exposed ourselves to numerous Trojan horses and other computer bugs -- a fact Apple's Mac ™ keeps poking fun at (even though there are quite a few Apple-specific viruses out there). The danger is so great that both platforms, but especially the former, keep urging us to have a registered and up to date anti-virus and firewall program.

Now, Microsoft is getting set to offer its own security and anti-virus package next summer, for free -- a tool which will work on XP, Vista and the forthcoming Windows 7. Just as Netscape went the way of the dodo, a lot of people wonder if this is The End for McAfee and Norton, among others.

I doubt it -- the MS program appears to be a no-frills program for those who want only the basics. Looks like they're going after the notebook crowd, mainly, as well as those still on dial-up. Many of us want and need something more robust.

Still, seeing how MS mowed down the competition in the past, such as IBM's OS2 and the NeXT Station, I wouldn't be too eager to be optimistic if I were one of those who make commercial packages. I would just promote it as a better product and why a pay package is better than the free one -- just as pay TV and extended basic cable often is better than free TV. Heck, even some free software anti-virus in competition might end up being better too. I didn't much like MS's spyware tool which I had to uninstall because it slowed down my desktop big time but some downloadable freebies work for spy and adware I have work just fine -- they're in the background and unobtrusive and often killing the spyware without even me knowing about it.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

4 comments:

Red Tory said...

Hard to get too excited about it.

I use Avast! which is free. Seems to work just fine.

BlastFurnace said...

I'm not too excited either, RT -- again, my main concern is the anti-competitive nature of Redmond. Some of my friends use tools like AVG and they have no complaints, I know some who also use Avast.

I've used Norton simply because it came pre-installed on mine.

Anonymous said...

Avast A/V, Comodo firewall, PC Tools Threatfire free version, SuperAntiSpyware free version, SpyBot, BillP Studios WinPatrol and Peer Guardian 2.

This PC is probably more secure than most corporate terminals for no cost whatsoever. And there's no slow down at all.

That's why I use a PC - that and the fact that you can build your own.

Can't build your own Mac and after you buy one you have to pay Apple's monopoly price for any more software you might want (not that you'd want much mind you).

Anonymous said...

RT, my son uses Avast and has had 2 viruses.