Sunday, February 17, 2008

Screw Family Day

Tomorrow is the manufactured holiday called "Family Day." I won't be celebrating it. For one thing, I don't have a family. It was taken away from me when my parents divorced, and there is no prospect of me ever having a family.

I cannot celebrate it when the divorce rate continues to hover at 40%.

I cannot celebrate it when 53% of women will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetimes.

I cannot celebrate it when Canada's Immigration Department does not do a background check on a pedophile known to British authorities, and allows him to enter Canada to commit even more child abuse.

I cannot celebrate it when our tax policies continue to favour rich families over lower income families.

I cannot celebrate it when PMS deregulates foreign adoptions but makes it even harder to adopt a kid born in Canada, making the foster care gulag even larger.

In short, I cannot celebrate a concept that to me is a total farce. There are no real families in Canada, just people who live together who are related to each other.

Screw Family Day. I don't mind the day off. Just call it something else.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

2 comments:

A Eliz. said...

Let's go back to he 15th and call it Flag Day.

Suzanne said...

Sheesh, lighten up. I know it's a fake holiday but holy cow, some people do have families they appreciate.