Saturday, October 11, 2008

CTV and Harper to Dion: "Speak White"

I don't exactly agree with Gilles Duceppe on everything, but he's right to defend Stéphane Dion on this one: An anglophone isn't expected to be exactly fluent in French, just enough to be understood and / or understand. Yet if a francophone is to speak English, he or she must be perfect or be derided as "just another Québec politician." In other words, French Canadians must "Speak White" or they aren't real Canadians. That Harper would pile on this is inexusable in my opinion. That CTV would air the tape unedited is their right but it also shows an incredible lack of class especially when Dion asked for a second take. If it was Harper, it would have been edited out.

So, I offer this link to one of my favourite poems from required high school reading: Speak White. I think it says everything else I want to say about it. The Cons were not allowed to get away with making fun of Chrétien's affliction with Bell's Palsy some 15 years ago, almost to the week. They should not be allowed to get away with this either.

Vote for this post at Progressive Bloggers.

No comments: